Tiny little insects can wreak havoc in your house. Termites are insects that are capable of endangering the foundation and character of your house in just a few months. It is best to destroy them as soon as the infestation starts. In this article, Handy explains how to identify and exterminate termites from your house and keep it safe.
- Identify the termites – There may be several kinds of insects in your house, but termites are the most dangerous of all of them. So, it is important to identify these small pests that devour and eat your house from within. They are also known as ‘white ants’ and are either creamy, white, dark brown, or black in color. Once you are sure these are termites, you can move on to the next stage.
- Identify the infestation – It is very important to make sure that your house has been infested by termites. Since these are known to be wood lovers, be alert when you see woody powder-like substance on your floor or near your wooden furniture. Tap on the wooden surface and if it sounds hollow, it has already been infested by termites. If you see mud tubes on the wall, it means that the subterranean termites have built a passage to move freely without being spotted. If you see discarded wings at the corner of your windows, it is a clear sign that termites are having a good time in your home.
- Killing termites by sunlight – Sunlight is known to be a natural termite killer. It is known that termite cannot survive the heat of more than 50 degrees for over thirty minutes. So, keep your house well ventilated and let the sunlight come in. If you have any termite-infested furniture, place it in direct sun for a couple of days to get rid of termites.
- Cardboard trap – Take two pieces of wet cardboard, place them on top of each other, and put it in front of suspected termite habitat. As they feed on cellulose, they will be attracted to it and fill the space between the sheets. The cardboard must be taken out and burnt. However, this method may not get rid of the entire infestation.
- Professional treatment – If the infestation is too large to be handled by you, it is better to seek professional help. Go for the reputed companies that use the approved chemicals and follow the correct safety procedure. Since the toxic elements present in the removal chemical are harmful, all pets and people residing in the house have to be evacuated when the treatment is going on. So, it is advised to be prepared for that beforehand. Ensure that you get a warranty against termite infestation for a couple of years from the company.
- Prevention – You can follow some easy steps in order to prevent termites. Keep your house dry as much as possible. Regularly check for leaking pipes or clogged gutters. Seal all cracks and crevices in the house with cement mortar. Check wooden structures periodically for any signs of termites.
Handy believes that you should not be careless if you spot a termite infestation and try to fix the problem as soon as possible. The more you wait, the costlier it can get to remove them completely.