Marvels of science and technology have always led human beings to the path of progress. Hernia mesh is one of the gems of science; it is a surgical mesh that supports the damaged tissue around hernias as it heals. In the U.S., ninety percent of hernia surgeries it is used. But lately, thousands of cases have been reported to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about the complications from hernia mesh face-threatening doctors and patients.
Why we develop hernias?
A hernia is a medical condition when an organ or a tissue is bulging through a weak spot in a surrounding muscle or connective tissue called fascia. The reason for its occurrence can be-
- Lifting heavy weights without protecting the abdominal muscles
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Poor nutrition
- By birth but is visible later in life.
- Excessive coughing and sneezing
Male and female, anybody can get a hernia.
Ways to check that you have a hernia
To ensure that you have a hernia, you need to visit a doctor if any of the following symptoms are there.
- If there is a lump or swelling around the pubic bone
- Keep monitoring the growth in that lump over a period.
- Lifting heavy objects and excessive coughing causes discomfort, then it is hernia for sure.
For the treatment of hernia, usually wait and watch is the treatment if there is no symptom. Surgical treatment is the other option as recommended by the doctors. Hernia mesh surgery is the most commonly used procedure for the treatment.
Hernia mesh repair surgery- Is it successful.
It is the most common procedure in which a surgical mesh in the upper stomach, abdomen, or groin treats hernia. It helps support the weak tissues or close an opening within the damaged muscle where the hernia was present. Studies show that mostly it has been a successful treatment among patients, but patients have stated complications after hernia mesh operation.
How to check hernia mesh surgery has failed.
There may be many symptoms of hernia mesh complications, but the most common are
- Pain – There can be swelling or bruising—tenderness and uneasiness in the bulge or incision area. Sometimes this is the only symptom showing the failure of the operation.
- Infections-The Antibiotics to treat minor infections are there. But chronic diseases require removal of the mesh. The symptoms of chronic conditions are inflammation, fever, and other flu-like symptoms.
- Bowel obstruction -Hernia mesh obstructs bowel movements if the device migrates in the body and entraps the intestines. It is a significant complication of hernia mesh and will need immediate attention. The symptoms of this condition are nausea, vomiting, and inability to [pass gas or stool.
- Bowel perforation- This condition occurs when the mesh tears or punctures into the bowel. The symptoms of this condition are nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, and abdominal rigidity.
- Migration- Sometimes, the mesh migrates in the body, which leads to adhesions, bowel obstruction, and perforation.
- Recurrence- This is the primary cause of concern hernia can recur again after the surgery.
We can conclude by saying that though it is the most common treatment for a hernia, the patients have seen hernia mesh complications even after years and some immediately.